Friday, June 12, 2015

Smile!

This was written in 2006 shortly after the death of my brother. It shows the effect that we have on those around us and is described well in Paul’s letter to the Romans.

 Smile!

Never be lacking in zeal,
but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord.
Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.
Share with God’s people who are in need.
Practice hospitality.”
(Romans 12v11)

Thought for Today: Today let us give thanks to those around us that support our lives: even those who do not realize the effect that they have on us. Let’s follow Paul’s advice: “Share with God’s people who are in need” and “Practice hospitality.”

                This is being written in the, food court at Midway Airport in Chicago at 8 am after a 6am flight from Minneapolis. There are smiling faces all around; even the TSA security people seem upbeat today. The smiles are almost infectious. It is not the normal scene that I observe in airports.
                 It seems that most of the people here today read Paul’s advice to the Romans and are being zealous and hospitable. It is infectious. I was not looking forward to this trip because there is a lot of work lying ahead at mom’s in Massachusetts helping reorganize the house after my brother’s passing.
                I awoke in a pensive mood and have dealt with smiling happy people for two hours. First the TSA security people were in good spirits, then a flight attendant greeted me with an exceptional smile, a guy helped me with my carry on when I almost dropped it, the flight out is on time and I had a first class upgrade. It also helps that I am writing Good News and having an omelet between flights!
                Today I had forgotten my own rules about the start of a new day. Up at four, fly at six stop in Chicago and then on to a stressful week! My funky start has been turned around by others. Somehow, the spirit and joy of those around me has affected my mood. It is like I can feel the spirituality around me.

Prayer for Today: Dear Lord today I simply give thanks for those around me that have lifted my spirits.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments!