Monday, February 15, 2016

Intimacy, Marriage

 Intimacy, Marriage

"Husbands, love your wives,
just as Christ loved the church
and gave himself to her"
(Ephesians 5:25).
           
            I want to alter Paul’s message here to “Love your spouse just as Christ loved the church and gave himself” because a relationship is a two way street. Tonight as I write this I have said two prayers: Prayers of thanks for a great Valentine’s week and the prospect of a week above zero in the middle of February. St.Valentine’s day reminds us that it is important to love and pray for each other in a relationship, every day!
            In our early years, what I call my dark period, it was not always that way. June’s and my relationship was quite one sided, on the surface. My business schedule, coaching sports for four children, endurance training, tennis and several other items caused our interactions to be out of balance (Way out of balance!). June was more of a support person than a partner. Mom, step mom, cook, house cleaner … and whatever else was required. There was deep love on both sides but not intimacy.
            June and I met during my dark period. I did not recognize it at the time, but June was my light at the end of the tunnel. Through the grace of God, I saw that it was not a train coming from the other end!  Today our relationship is more balanced and giving; perhaps too much so if that is possible.
                        My message is a bit mixed up tonight but in summary, The Lord gives us an unlimited supply of love when we are born. It is never ending, always available to give and we have a chance to share it with our spouses every minute of every day. None of us are perfect and all days are not created equal, but we can love every day because we have an unlimited supply! As my favorite philosopher NIKE says, “Just Do It!”

Thought for Today: Today let us each tell someone close, friend or family how much their relationship means to us.

Prayer for Today: Dear Lord today I give thanks for those people in my life that are close to me; spouses, friends or relatives. May I share my love for them as Christ did for the Church.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments!