Monday, April 4, 2016

Security!

This was written in 2011 right after a police action on the highway that was visible from my window. I thought of it after reading a report about street violence in America in yesterday’s paper. People are shooting each other at record rates in our cities.

Security?

"The Lord Almighty is with us;
 the God of Jacob is our fortress."
Psalm 46:7

            Recently while writing, a news flash can across my computer screen that there was a shootout on a local highway that had shut down the road. So what, I am here safe in my home. Well, I live within a half mile of the spot and they had put all the local schools on lock down until the situation was resolved. I did not feel very secure at all.
            When a crime or event like this occurs in "our neighborhood", we ask "How could this happen here?"  The truth is that tragedy and violence can happen anywhere. None of us is immune. June and I have said for years that anything can happen at any time. We are always wary when we travel but not so wary when we are at home.
            The author of the 23rd Psalm wrote these familiar words, "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me." The psalmist does not say that we will not have to walk through the darkest valley or that evil does not exist. Rather, the psalmist reminds us that we need not fear or be overwhelmed because God is present with us at all times and in all places. God will see us through. The ground and content of our hope is the promise that nothing in all creation can separate us from God's love.

            Real security cannot come from walls and fences; real security comes from having a relationship with God.

Thought for Today: Today let us feel secure in our faith, our neighborhood and in all of our relationships.

Prayer for Today: Heavenly Father, when the foundations of our lives are shaken, hold us close to you and remind us that you will never leave or forsake us. You alone are our hope and security.

Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments!