Saturday, June 30, 2018

Joy

Joy

The Lord is my strength and my shield. My heart trusts in him and I am helped.
My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song."
(Psalm 28:7)

            Is there joy in our lives? Let us face it, most of us have a lot more positives than
Negatives; JOY.  Our family, friends and associates are sources of great joy. It is July, the
grass is green; the trees are full and flowers are showing their colors. It is easy to see this kind of joy.

               Here is my story of joy. June 30th 1967 was one of the darkest and longest days of my life! I had a three drink lunch and took off early to get to a happy hour. Met my roommate, Barry, and handed him the car keys. Picked up some friends and Barry drove 175 miles to a fourth of July weekend party. Oh, and I was in the back seat with a few beers! Yes, I was a depressed alcoholic on a binge.

            At some time around two in the morning at a ski lodge in North Conway, New Hampshire, there was a Devine intervention that I was too drunk to remember. Somehow outside of a ladies room I introduced myself to a British Lady named June Holloway. I hardly remember that meeting.

            The following evening I was sober…too hung over to drink… and Barry pointed June out to me and filled me in a bit on my totally inappropriate behavior the previous evening! I approached her with the only pick up line that I had in me at that time; “Excuse me, I believe that I owe you an apology for last night’s behavior.”

            We will be married 50 years this July 28th. You see, my higher power, God, intervened and placed great joy in my life! He will do the same for you if you let him in!

As Paul said to the Romans (15:13); "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the
power of the Holy Spirit."

   Thought for Today: Let us keep joy at the forefront of our thoughts. When challenged with life, let's use our shield - the Lord.

Prayer for Today: Heavenly Father, many of our friends are fighting battles. Our world and country seem to be in turmoil. We enter this week when we will celebrate Independence Day. For this week let us celebrate the Joy of being an American and stand proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments!