Sunday, June 17, 2018

The Valley


Today is father’s day and this week I was blessed all week being involved with family. Today was special because after church my granddaughter Ashley came for a swim with her son (my great grandson) Dash! Below is the story of my recovery from cancer in 1998.

The Valley

“Even though I walk through the valley
of the shadow of death,
I fear no evil, for you are with me.
(Psalm 23:4)

            Recovery from surgery is a tough mental and physical battle that frequently ends in the deepening of spirituality. Healing physically is something we all are used to; our bumps and bruises over the years, minor cuts, all go away in time. It is easy not to recognize the miracle of God with the minor problems.
             However, when a big one comes, it is equally easy to ask "Where are you God?" or "Why are you doing this to me?" It is easy to lose sight of what matters when facing a life threatening event. Often, we are caught up in the analysis of the doctor’s skills and the various treatment options and where is the best place to go for help.  Yes, let's get technical and analytical to make darn sure that the doctor can take care of us. Let's make sure we go to a hospital with the latest equipment. But somehow, let's not forget God in the process.
             In 1998 when I had cancer, my impatience and out rite fear chased me into the hospital in only three weeks, no analysis or wait and see. Just my typical impulsive, "Just do it" (thanks Nike). As many of you know, somehow, I threw it over to HIM with reckless abandon. That brings to mind the last line of the Psalm 23,"Surely goodness and love will follow, all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever."
            The Lord and physicians came through for me and my family. We all need to remember Him during times of fear and illness.
Thought for Today: Let us focus on the unfortunates around us that are ill and keep the 23rd Psalm in mind. Let us see if we can contribute to helping in some way.
Prayer for Today: Dear Lord, many of our friends have health issues. Some are minor, some serious and some fatal. We pray that we may find a way to assist, help and calm their fears as they walk through their valley. May we help by following your guidance through prayer.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments!