Friday, October 26, 2018

Positive Attitude



Positive Attitude

I know that there is nothing better than for men
Than to be happy and do good while they live.
(Ecclesiastes 3:12)

It is interesting to think about what makes us happy, excited and pleased with our lives. Each of us is different, but I suspect that in Paul’s letters he had certain things in mind. I doubt they were what we consider life experiences.
Recently on the golf course, on the very first tee I was very nervous because my game has been suffering all summer. It was in England and I wanted to do well. My drive went long and straight stopped exactly where I wanted it and my approach held the green less than 20 feet from the hole. Yes, I was happy, but that is not what Paul meant by “do good”.
Last week while talking with a friend, Dave, about a sporting event that we both were interested in we were joined by Don who’s dad has recently passed away at age 101. The subject changed as Don processed some of his grief. We were silent (you know that is not my normal style) and let him talk for 20 minutes. We heard about being a volunteer fireman for 60 years, early days on a farm in Windom Minnesota, hunting trips with dad etc.; Don was in his glory telling us these stories and both Dave and I Listened intently. We were helping in a silent way.
Paul was a teacher with a mission. We have been given the task of carrying on his mission in our faith. The Lord has not given many of us the ability to be preachers or to talk the talk every day. We are not all Evangelists. However, if we are Christians we are all ministers of the gospel. Knowing that, how do we preach the word? We preach every day through our actions and the example we set in our daily lives.
We need to be “…be happy and do good…” every moment we can.
Thought for Today: Today we will be tested and some things will not all go well. We need to find a way through our faith to be an example to those around us; an example of good living and happiness.
Prayer for Today: Heavenly father, today we pray that we may help your cause. We pray for the opportunity to help. Amen

1 comment:

We welcome your comments!