Monday, September 12, 2016

BUSYness!

 BUSYness

“For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time has come for my departure  7I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith
(2 Timothy 4: 6 & 7)

            Those of you that have been Good News buddies for a while know that I relate closely with the many race analogies used by Paul in his letters. They are meaningful today because I have a sense that the events around the world have thrown us in to a high state of BUSYness. (Spell-check hates that word but I like it!). In Paul’s message above he is not talking about a marathon, a work week, getting to the children’s activities; it has nothing to do with our BUSYness. It has to do with keeping our faith peaked during the process of life.
            This was triggered today because retired old Bob is too busy with fun stuff, teaching swimming, helping others in need, increasing my exercise program and generally being Bob. For the second day in a row I woke up before the sun with activities and obligations pushing my spirituality from the forefront. I can tell when that happens because I am not at peace during the day and I generally start reading the newspaper with my coffee; back to my old ways.
                        The following is the story of a friend with the right idea!   A good friend that has five children and one was in a weekend tournament. The dreaded event occurred; he made it to the championship game on Sunday morning- OOPs there goes the Lord into the back seat. NO, that is not the story! The game was 40 miles away, it was a Minnesota winter day with freezing rain (June and I had trouble going three miles to church.). My friend got is family up very early, left several hours early and attended services in the tournament city before the game. They took the time to recharge their spiritual batteries when they could. That’s a story worth telling and a family with great priorities.

Thought for the Day: In a counter to Paul's message about the race, I also read the following from the 23rd Psalm: “He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, He restores my soul”. Take a prayer break today and every day.


Prayer for Today: Dear father, today we pray for personal peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments!