Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Rally Day


Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God?
Or am I trying to please men?
If I was trying to please men,
I would not be a servant of Christ
(Galatians 1-10) 

            As we go through life, we are trained at a very young age that life is easier and more rewarding when we please those around us. I see my eight grand children working diligently to do things to please nana and gramps. Helping June in the kitchen, the garden and doing other non-child-like chores. Often they help me with the pool and fixing whatever needs fixing. They love to help and love the approval they receive in return.

            When looking at Paul’s message to the Galatians, what are we teaching children? To please others gives good feelings. When I think back to my youth, it seems that in my case, I was in my thirties before realizing that being a “people pleaser” was not always in everyone’s best interest. Sometimes when pleasing people, honesty is sacrificed and everyone involved misses a chance to be closer to God.

            What is the best way to get this message to the next generation?
 
Christian education, Sunday school as we used to call it, is probably the best answer. Somehow through the Christian education process, the children learn what is important and meaningful. As they grow they will make a choice to follow Christ and please God rather than people.

            Soon it will be Rally Day at most Christian churches. It is a time of coming together for the Lord after a long summer. There will be thousands of children returning and thousands not coming. In one instance we have a friend who was not raised in a Christian environment whose husband enrolled their two children in Sunday school. He sees the need and she is confused and so far a non participant. Pray for them.  

Thought for Today: As leaders in our community and family, let us focus on visibly doing God’s work in our lives.
 
Prayer for Today: Heavenly father, we give thanks the Christian educators that work with children and youth. Those that teach the belief and faith that will guide them throughout their lives.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments!