Friday, January 25, 2019

Peacemakers


Peacemakers
…Blessed are the peacemakers,
   for they will be called children of God.
(Mathew 5 verse 9)

        A peacemaker is not a person who avoids issues but a person who resolves issues; one that will go where others avoid. Some do it because it is their job, some because it is their passion. I view a peacemaker as one who stirs the pot! That is generally a negative saying but it also is the way to solve problems and bring good (peace) by generating a deeper discussion.
            In out very busy world we have become a society of sound bites and tweets. It is thought that if you can’t get someone’s attention in ten seconds you can forget them. What I find really confusing is that often I agree with the sound bites on both sides of an issue. Some examples are in health care; I agree that something needs to be available for all and on the other side that we should take care of ourselves; I agree that we should not hand out our tax dollars to private businesses but that we can’t afford to lose jobs; I feel that the Sabbath needs to be honored (bring back blue laws) but that would cost jobs; … and my list goes on.
            Please do not consider this political; I just want to point out the conundrum of our times. My point is that when we lower ourselves to becoming a sound bite society we become polarized. The peacemaker does not allow that to happen; peacemakers are aware of the sound bites but stir the pot in an attempt to make a tolerable and acceptable brew. They have a tough job.
            In our church we have a lady who I have grown to love. She is a thinker, a pot stirrer, a cook of issues and a value to us all. Over the years I sat in several meetings where she contributed in moving a polarized team to successful conclusion. Several times I was the team leader and she saved my bacon; we got great results. She is a good cook; a peacemaker and politician.
            My point is that Jesus wants us to contribute, to stir the pot for acceptable solutions. Paul advised the Romans:
“Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads
 to peace and to mutual edification.”
(Romans 14 vs. 19)

Thought for the Day: For today let us realize that we will be blasted by sound bites and tweets: snippets of reality that can polarize our thinking. For today, let us ask what Jesus would do with that tweet!

Prayer for the Day: Dear Lord and Father today we pray for the ability to think and ponder what is between the sound bites and tweets of our society. We pray for the ability to follow Jesus and understand your will here on earth.



No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments!