Saturday, July 24, 2021

Difference


 Here is a sad story from the early 50s that we have not solved yet. I used to take the bus from the end of my street in Saugus Mass to the YMCA in Lynn, the next town. My classmate and good friend , Richie Gibbs, was frequently on the same bus. He would get of at one end of Market Street and I the other. We were both going to swim practice, him at the JCC and me at the YMCA, How sad it that.

Differences
"...let us stop passing judgment on one another.
Instead, make up our minds not to put an obstacle in our brothers' way."
(Romans 14:13)
Growing up in Boston in the 1940s and 1950s my family was very strict on who was acceptable and who was not; prejudicial to the max. I have come to believe that the types of things that existed were from the fear of competition within our society. Fear that the Italian and Irish immigrants would become equals to the old-time New Englanders; the blacks, Catholics, and the WASPish list went on. (I made up that word WASPish.)
There was a definite trend to block the social development of certain sections of society. It was the end of the era when some factories' help wanted signs stated “Irish need not apply.” It was a sad time.
The good news is that I was blessed to be a YMCA brat growing up and they were leaders in treating people as equals. I mixed with all factions and never saw any difference so it was hard for me to buy into my family's ideas. At one point I was advised by my grandmother that my Italian friends were not welcome at her house.
At the YMCA, our director, Jim Goodwin, was a leader in educating us in equality (in the 1950s). Paige, his daughter daughter tells me that he spent time reaching out to the JCC (Jewish Community Center) and scheduling joint events. Jim was special and well before his time.
My senior year of high school was at Huntington Prep in downtown Boston. It was my first exposure to a truly mixed nationality and race community. We all had a shared goal, get into a good college. We studied together, trained together, and were fond of each other. It was a confusing time because they were great guys and my family had a true WASish background.
My story has a point somehow I was blessed by being exposed to worldly people and was blind to the differences. My friends were varied. the moral is clear, love your neighbor and do not be afraid to show it.
Thought for Today: Today we will interact with people of all kinds; recognize them as equals and the blessings of our differences. Love them all unconditionally.
Prayer for Today: Dear Lord and Father somehow America, home of the free, still harbors prejudices within our society. Today we pray that we can learn to accept others as St. Paul suggested.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments!