Friday, July 19, 2019

Differences!

Differences
"...let us stop passing judgment on one another.
Instead, make up our minds not to put an obstacle in our brother’s way."
(Romans 14:13)

            Growing up in the 40’s and 50’s my family was very strict on who were acceptable and who was not; prejudicial to the max. I have come to believe that attitude existed from the fear of competition within our society. Fear that the immigrants would become equals to the old time New Englanders. My great grandmother from the deep south was a segregationist, the rest were from the “Irish need not Apply” school…only expanded to include all Catholics. There was a definite trend to block the social development of certain sections of the society. It was a sad time.
            I was blessed by being a YMCA brat growing up. The “Y” were leaders in treating people as equals. Mixing with all factions I never saw any difference, so it was hard for me to buy into my family’s ideas. At the “Y” my friends were of all races and religions (Oops, I need to tell a Jewish story in the next paragraph!) I remember at one point being pulled aside by an elder and told that my Italian friends were not welcome at her house. Geeze!
            My Jewish story: My friend at the Roby School, Richie, was Jewish. We shared an interest in swimming and the JCC (Jewish Community Center) was one bus stop before my stop at the “Y”. You see, YMCA and JCC did not mix in the late forties. How sad is that, two good friends going to segregated swim-team practices on the same bus! I am not describing “the good old days”!
            In America we came a long way in the sixties and still have a way to go. Christians, that is us folks, need to lead the way. Last week message was Matthew 5 about “…shine your light…”. Recent events in our world, the good old USA, indicate how correct that is. We need to demonstrate our Christian love and acceptance of all; every day, everywhere, all the time!

Thought for Today: Today we will interact with people of all kinds. Let us recognize them as equals and recognize the blessings of our differences.

Prayer for Today: Dear Lord and Father somehow America, home of the free, still harbors prejudices within our society. Today we pray that we can learn to accept others as St. Paul suggested.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments!