Saturday, June 27, 2020

Listen!


00626 Listen 

Listen, accept what I say;
and the years of your life will be many.

(Proverbs 4 vs. 10)

 

            Driving to the trail to do my morning walk there were a father and son in the car behind me. The son was wearing a headset and probably listening or viewing something on his phone. The Dad had his phone up to his ear. In our apartment complex there are parents with their children but on their screens. Screens and blue tooth are an integral part of society today; we are together but separated by technology. 

            So, as not to sound too much like an old fogey, I need to admit that most of my communications today are with text, email, or social media. It is a great way to stay in touch with people and the twenty-two members of our family! My question is, “Are we missing out on closeness…or increasing our contact? 

            In the ancient 1950s, my folks and I rode together a lot and they would not turn on the radio. It was our time to talk. Often, I was getting grilled but once in a while, it was my turn to ask and question. I especially liked to quiz my mom when we were riding to school, she was a teacher and always had the inside scoop. My dad was a talker and with him was my time to listen and learn. I do not remember much about what I learned but we sure talked. There is a closeness to a personal conversation that we may be missing. 

            Observing in my mirror there was no conversation between the boy and his dad. They were in different worlds. Sometimes my grandkids do that to me when I pick them up from school. Alone time is important, use it! With that said, the increased communication through technology makes keeping in touch easier. 

            My conclusion for today is nothing. Times are changing and people change with the times. We are parents charged with raising and mentoring the next generation. Prayerfully our love and Christian values will be passed on. 

Thought for Today:  Today let us be communicators with those around us. Let us share our love and faith as well as some hints on life. 

Prayer for Today: Today we pray for future generations. We pray that the technology that makes their lives simpler enhances their understanding of Jesus and his grace.

           

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments!