Friday, February 16, 2024

Also Ran

Also Ran? Then the LORD said to Joshua, "Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged." (Joshua 8 vs.1) Being an also-ran is a way of life. We rarely finish first. Russell Sanders uttered the famous quote, "Winning isn't everything. It is the only thing." It is not valid, and here are some: My friend Pat McNamara qualified in four different Olympics and did not win a medal; my brother Wayne swam for years and was a national top ten in four events but never had a national championship; Ted Williams and Carl Yastrzemski played years for the Red Sox and never received a world series ring, and the list goes on. None of the above is a loser, and all were proud of their accomplishments. In my instance, I have three triathlon trophies out of 21 races: a second, a third, and an only. There was always someone faster until the Summer of 2011 when no one else my age competed. Did I lose? Never. In each Triathlon I did, I would well up with tears of joy from the sheer pride in my accomplishment in the last mile of the run. The pain experienced during the run would disappear, the legs would seem fresh again, and the finishing sprint would feel and look great. Second, Third, or twentieth did not matter; I was winning inside. We rarely are number one, but we are always winners since God is always with us. Thought for Today: Today, we will have battles we do not expect. Let us be winners with God's help, no matter how the battle turns out. Prayer for Today: Dear Lord and Father, thank you for being with us everywhere. We thank you because when you are along, we will be winners. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments!